IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO EDUCATE A CHILD!
Second Grade is full of many new learning experiences, and here at St. Jerome Second Grade is a time for two Sacraments of Initiation. The school and parish community join together to celebrate this wonderful occasion in the students' lives. I feel privileged to be part of the journey of Sacramental preparation for First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion! Our hope is that each time our young candidates receive Communion, it will be just as special as that very first time!
Besides this unprecedented, auspicious event toward the end of the school year, our students participate in a dynamic array of significant academic events throughout the school year such as United Nations Day, Science Fair, and Multi-Cultural Heritage Activities (to mention just a few.) Second Grade also participates in STEAM/STREAM Activities, Simple Solutions Math Class, Physical Education, Spanish Class, Music Class, and Arts Attack. They have the opportunity to take part in numerous extracurricular activities including Sports, Choir, Computer Lab, Music and Dance Classes.
In our classroom, Second Graders receive a complete battery of California Common Core and Los Angeles Archdiocese Grade Level Standards in all subjects through the use of our textbooks, supplemental books & resources, plus technology. For Language Arts, we use the literacy-enriching Super Kids Program; Envision Math - which incorporates Mental Math and Algebraic calculations - is our Mathematics program. We enjoy having activities in our Science Lab, Computer Lab, Library, Music Room, Gymnasium, and Art Room! Our students often become engaged in hands-on practices and cognitive-development activities which enhance retention of concepts and develop critical thinking skills.
Here at St. Jerome, we strive to teach the whole child, through a multi-disciplinary, faith-based curriculum!
1) Show respect for God, others, self and property.
2) Use appropriate language and voice control.
3) Be responsible and prepared with work and materials.
4) Keep hands, feet and objects where they belong.
5) Follow directions and school/classroom policies and accept the consequences of your actions.
2nd Grade Student Supply List:
* 2 Reams of white paper
* 2 Boxes of tissues
* 2 Packages of Baby Wipes
* 1 Container of disinfecting wipes
* 1 hand sanitizer
* 1 Box of ziploc bags (gallon-size)
* 1 Box of ziploc bags (quart size)
* 2 Packages of construction paper (multi-color)
* 2 (size-7) (largest lead found) mechanical pencils (to be restocked as needed)
* 4 #2 sharpened pencils (restocked as needed)
* 2 Pocket plastic folders (plain, no designs, no prongs)
* 1-inch 3-ring plastic binder
* 1 pair of round-tipped child's scissors (labeled with child's name on it)
* One set of 2 rubber erasers per semester (labeled with child's name on it)
* No More Than Set of 8 thin-felt markers
* 2 sets of watercolor paints
* One set of 6 glue sticks
* 1 Box/set of 24 crayons per semester
* One set of 12 coloring pencils per semester
* 2 ballpoint pens (1 red, 1 blue)
* 4 wide-ruled black and white composition notebooks and 1 Graph paper (with larger squares) notebook (labeled with child's name on it)
* 1 Set of index cards
* Highlighters of different colors
* 1 package of dry-erase markers
* 1 set of computer head-phones
* 1 Zipper bag big enough to store child's daily supplies (labeled with child's name on it)
* Lunch box with child's name on it (written with permanent ink)
* Back-pack with child's name on it (written with permanent ink)
(All sweaters, jackets and clothing need to have child's name on it written with permanent ink.)
suggested summer reading